How to compare auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance is one of those things that people sometimes forget to factor into the equation when the time comes to buy a car. The excitement of getting your very own vehicle—perhaps even your first!—can sometimes overshadow the rather dull responsibility of purchasing auto insurance.
However, this shouldn’t be a task to skip out on. In fact, you should be looking at policies before you’ve even purchased a car! In Canada, it’s a requirement to own auto insurance. At the very least, the law requires you to own liability insurance, which covers any damages you may have caused with your car to other vehicles, people, and property. You’re also required to own accident benefits/bodily injury coverage, which covers any medical costs if you get into an accident and injure yourself. Keep in mind that these requirements may also slightly vary according to province and territory. Some places, like Québec and British Columbia, require a combination of government-provided basic insurance and private insurance.
The fact of the matter is that wherever you’re based, you’re still going to need some sort of auto insurance. Depending on your car, what you use it for, and where you live, you may also want to add on additional coverage, such as collision insurance or protection against theft and vandalism. As such, it’s essential to evaluate your needs carefully and choose an insurance provider that works for you and your budget. But how do you go about doing that?
The importance of comparing insurance quotes
One of the most valuable tips that we can impart when it comes to purchasing insurance of any kind is to make sure you don’t jump on the first offer, and instead take some time to compare prices from different insurers. Different providers will usually offer slightly different prices, depending on a number of factors:
- If you’re willing to purchase multiple types of insurance from one provider—such as auto and homeowner insurance—, the insurer may offer you a discount on your monthly premiums.
- Certain insurers may offer perks or discounts for first-time customers, so it’s always worth checking out new companies as well.
- Some policies may offer more coverage for the same price, or have a lower deductible.
Comparing auto insurance quotes will save you money, and help you get an idea of what the market is like.
How to compare auto insurance quotes
Getting a quote from an insurer is free and only requires you to provide some information. Keep in mind that the more details you give, the more accurate your quote will be. Auto insurers usually require the make and model of your car, your age and gender, your address, and your driving habits and experience. You can also ask to see how much additional coverage such as collision insurance would cost.
Here’s how to compare quotes:
- Online. Thankfully, it’s now easier than ever to compare quotes, thanks to the power of the internet. Of course, you could take the time to go to each insurance provider’s website individually and see if you can get a quote there since most insurers provide a quote estimate tool on their site.
Or you could save yourself a lot of time and money and use YouSet, which creates a bespoke list of insurance quotes and coverage details in a matter of minutes. This way you can instantly find the provider that best suits your needs while knowing that you’re getting the best price possible.
- On the phone or in person. You can also go the old-school way and get a free quote directly from an insurance provider or from an independent insurance agent via phone or in person. However, this route usually takes much longer and requires you to put aside a chunk of time and do the work of comparing prices yourself.
It’s never easier to compare quotes from different insurers, and it’s a step you should not skip when purchasing a policy. If you’re short on time or simply don’t want to spend hours online or on the phone, then YouSet can help you find the right insurance for you in a matter of minutes. Just answer a few questions online, choose a policy from the options we’ve put together for you, and purchase it right there on our site. It’s as easy as ordering a takeaway pizza on a Sunday night. Come check us out!
With YouSet, get a free online quote for an insurance that suits your needs and budget, in only 4 minutes!